Trey went and saw the dentist for the first time awhile before I gave birth to Noah. I know they say you are suppose to start taking them when they are 1 or so but we had opted to wait because of Trey's severe food aversion. The mouth is such a sensitive and unsafe area for Trey we didn't want to make things worse. Trey will let us brush his teeth which is great. But now that Trey is understanding things better and attempting to eat and drink so much more these days we thought it was an appropriate time to go.
I found a great pediatric dentist in Moscow, ID about 20 mins away. I let them know when scheduling his appointment about Trey's food aversion and my concern about how this initial visit would go for the little guy. They assured me that they specialized in pediatrics and would let Trey lead the visit.
And they did just that. They were wonderful. The office was so kid friendly. Trey of course was reluctant as soon as he saw the first person in scrubs and wearing blue gloves. He did let them take x-rays of his front teeth which I was surprised about.
They did an amazing job talking him through everything. They did some medical play with a dog about what the dentist would do when she came in.
But even with all their great techniques and a very sensitive and gentle dentist, Trey was not having anything to do with the examination part. A lot of tears and "I am ready to go home Mama". The dentist did want to get a good look at his teeth especially with all his reflux. So after a quick but thorough check Trey got an excellent report on his teeth. Which we were quite excited about.
I don't think he was too traumatized by the visit. We just talked about how important it is to make sure his teeth are healthy. He was quite happy about his new toothbrush and stickers.












Wow! What a positive first experience at the dentist. That's great!
ReplyDelete