This past Sunday August 8th my dearest Grandma Kathryn passed away. As I mentioned in my previous blog Grandma had been declining quiet rapidly in the previous months but she suffered a stroke on July 29th that began her journey to heaven.
I was able to come home and spend some amazing time with Grandma before her passing. Those final days are moments I will cherish forever. Her journey to heaven took a total of 11 days and she passed away very peacefully the day before her husband's 42 year anniversary of his own passing. A sweet ending to their love story.
We had an amazing memorial service to celebrate her full life. It was comforting to have wonderful family and friends surroundings us that day. A touching part of the service was when all of the grandchildren each shared a special memory they had with grandma. I would like to share mine with you...
I would have to say looking back on my 28 years of life so many of my lifelong memories are wrapped up in Grandma Kathryn. Figure skating lessons at 6:30 in the morning, car rides back and forth to school, Christmas mornings breakfast, going to church every Sunday together, taking care of me when I was sick, buying my first car, sewing my senior prom dress and our annual summer trips to California to name a few.
But the one attribute that touches my heart the most when I think about Grandma Kathryn that may surprise most people is her sensitivity. As a young girl I remember being very upset about something and running around the block to her house and crawling into her arms on her green rocking chair and crying. I remember vividly that day Grandma rocking me and sitting quietly and listening. Her calm voice eventually spoke telling me in her own words that everything would be fine. She had a special way of fixing things.
It's ironic that again 20 years later I found myself in the same situation but this time crying to her because I was saying goodbye for the last time. I again laid on her chest and told her how I was feeling and she listened. Even though she didn't speak this time she still fixed my sadness I was feeling through her eyes.
Grandma has been such an important part of my life and helped mold me into the daughter, sister, wife and mother I am today. I love you Grandma Kathryn.
Grandma meeting Trey for the first time.










Beautiful words Alissa! She sounded like an amazing woman!
ReplyDelete