While working as a nurse we always had pet therapy for our patients in the hospital. And on occasion when visiting Grandma I would see a cat wondering around her unit. I always knew that people especially the elderly benefited from the therapeutic use of pets as companions and visitors. But I got to really experience that first hand while Grandma was on her journey to heaven.
The caregivers for my Grandma said that the unit cat Gracie, can sense when someone is dying. I was like really?? But all the times I visited Grandma before I may have seen the cat once or twice come into Grandma's room. But since Grandma had her stroke and up until the day she passed Gracie hardly ever left the room. She would come sit next to my mom or aunt during their 24 hour vigil over Grandma or sit by the window and just look out or lay on the floor next to Grandma's bed. She even would stay when Trey would come for a visit and hide under the bed.
It was amazing to see how Gracie's presence provided a special comfort to us while Grandma was passing. Just thought I would share a sweet story of little cat by the name of Gracie who had a nurturing instinct to love a family during a time of loss.









No comments:
Post a Comment