Please forgive me if I don't make sense with my sentences tonight. I am so tired from the last several days. I can't even imagine how little Trey must feel. It's amazing how much being out of your normal routine plays a toll on your body.
Well to give a quick recap of the day...Trey had his swallow study today. Grandpa accompanied us to this test. We met with a wonderful speech therapist today at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in the radiology department. The test took place in a regular x-ray room. We were asked to bring several foods Trey likes to eat, foods that are difficult, and things that he will drink. The speech therapist mixed a variety of the things we brought with barium. The radiologist took video X-rays of the mouth and throat. These images show how food passes from the mouth through the throat and into the esophagus. They may also reveal aspiration -- foreign matter entering the lungs -- if barium enters the windpipe.
Trey had to sit in this highchair and then had two x-ray boards right next to him. As you can imagine for a 15 month old this was quite scary and not a normal eating scenario for anyone. He cried and wanted to be held so we gave hugs and tried different distractions. The bubble wand did the trick. I stood in front of him and tried to feed him. The speech therapist assured me that we would not push Trey past his comfort zone to make sure we would not worsen the food aversion. We tried peach sorbet first (the one thing Trey will eat lately). He did very well the first few bites and I continued to add more barium to the spoon per the radiologists request. Well once he realized the barium was in his mouth he freaked out. He just sat there with his mouth wide open with tears running down his face. He continued to get more frantic so as a group we decided it was time to stop. We didn't get very far but enough that the radiologist felt he did not see any aspiration taking place.
Based off this test and the symptoms I described to the therapist she felt that Trey's oral aversion has mainly stemmed from his severe reflux. Soon after the test had stopped the therapist was able to witness Trey refluxing already in her presence.
So we finish up the last couple days with our GI specialist and dietitian tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what our plan of care will be at this point. Daddy will get to listen in via speaker phone.
I feel totally drained tonight but I know that God has this obstacle all figured out. He has comforted me from hand picking the wonderful people who performed the tests these past two days, and supplying amazing supportive husband, parents and friends around Trey and I.
We love you all!!!
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment