We unfortunately didn't get into the Ronald McDonald house today. But we are hoping that in the next couple of days a spot will open up for us to stay. Kind of sad they are so full with families around the holiday time.
We start Trey's actual therapy sessions tomorrow at Seattle Children's. But we already started the actual weaning process of his tube feeding formula this past Thursday. I have to say seeing the schedule on paper was quite different than I imagined for some reason. I am quite nervous and anxious about the whole process now that we are actually here. Trey will be dropping his calories quite drastically by this Tuesday. Just to give you an idea Trey normally receives 5 bolus feeds a day (190ml each) and then a 5 hour night drip (275ml total) of his hypoallergenic formula. (We do add baby food to this so he can get use to having regular food in his tummy besides just formula.) But by Tuesday he will get 4 boluses of just water (to keep him hydrated) and 1 last late evening bolus of his normal formula and no night drip.
This scares me to death but I know the hope is to get Trey hungry enough to want to eat. In the past Trey has never been driven by appetite or the feeling of being hungry. But we have never pushed him to this level before due to pretty rapid weight lost. So I know we have to try or we will never know. I know in my mind he will be followed very closely by his team of experts at Children's but as a Mommy I can't help but worry how this is going to play out for my little man. I know this program isn't going to be a quick fix for all of Trey's feeding problems but I am encouraged that he will make some progress in his journey to eating independently.
I don't know when I will be able to update again due to Internet access. But I plan to keep a journal of these 2 weeks and hope to post them when we are done with the program or in between if I get a chance.
When you have time please pray for our little Trey and his courage to feel safe eating and drinking. And a little prayer for his Mommy to keep strong for her little boy during this intensive transition process, Thank you so much and hopefully good news to follow in 2 weeks. Trey's last day of the programs falls on his actual 3rd birthday (Dec. 16th). Hopefully a new year filled with great progress.
Love this little guy.









No comments:
Post a Comment