Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, September 10, 2012

Obon Festival



At the beginning of our trip to Tacoma, I took the boys for their first time to an Obon festival. This is a century old Japanese custom that takes place every year throughout Washington and many other regions. It is considered a happy time when members of the Japanese community dance to honor family members who have died. This type of dancing is called Bon-Odori in Japanese.

This is an annual event I looked forward to every year as a child. Anyone can join in the dancing which consists of everyone going around in a large circle on blocked off streets. Some of the dances involve using fans or wooden clappers. Majority of the regulars usually dress in traditional kimonos. Here was one of my favorites I saw that evening...

 
I was trying to find some old pictures when I was younger but I think my parents have most of them. I did find a few...

My little brother and I.
Another one of me with the cutest girls ever when I was visiting from college one summer.
 
One of my dearest friends Tracy, who I use to work with was their with her family. During my high school and college years I use to babysit her boys. I couldn't believe how old they have gotten. Tracy is a nurse practitioner and she wrote my letter of recommendation for nursing school. She also has been a great support with all of Trey's health struggles. She has played a special role in my life and it was wonderful to see her.

Tracy tried to get Mr. Shy Trey out there to participate in the dancing. Trey wouldn't move from his spot so they just danced in place....


Another special treat during the festival is Taiko drumming. (Taiko means "drum" in Japanese) A group usually puts on several performances throughout the evening.


Tracy and her family are part of the Tacoma Taiko drumming group. During one of their performances she was sweet enough to come grab Trey and he got to participate. He was so excited.

Here is a some video...

 
 When we got home that night my dad found Trey some Taiko sticks and he started pretending to drum on a box. It was so cute. He was a drumming machine. It was amazing how Trey really picked up a lot of the moves.

Here are a few more pictures from the evening...
Mr. Noah tuckered out from the heat that day.
My dearest friend Cat joined us with her niece's and cousin.
Trey taking in all the action.
Miss Jacqueline posing for the camera.



It was so fun to share with my boys a tradition I loved throughout my childhood.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment